I’m Brie Wieselman and I believe that our physical health is the springboard for living an inspired life.
What gets me up every day is knowing that I get the opportunity to support people like you, who want to figure out how to solve their frustrating digestive and hormone issues so that you can get back out there and give your best to the world!
I’ve worked with people all over the world, from Dubai to California, via video conferencing using Functional Medicine to help them resolve their most challenging health issues. And I can also see you in person, at my integrative clinic in Santa Cruz, CA.
While I always knew I wanted to help people, I found my way into medicine because, like you, I’ve had my own health journey.
- Severe childhood asthma: – I was pumped full of drugs for the first 10 years of my life- anti-inflammatory and bronchodilator inhalers, stimulants, synthetic corticosteroids, antibiotics, mucolytics — you name it!
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)—it took the better part of 25 years to finally identify this as part of my health picture—what a relief! Before I understood what was going on, I struggled with irregular periods and bloating, adult acne, felt chunky, and fatigued. I was anxious and moody, and even had panic attacks. (Not a great look for a woman in her 20s…). More recently this has looked like sub-fertility.
- Multiple digestive parasites and Candida overgrowth
- Chronic Insomnia
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism
- Learning how to use diet and lifestyle to stay healthy, with my inherited genetic tendencies towards diabetes and metabolic syndrome
A childhood full of non-stop medications and the side effects that came with them made me fiercely determined to find other answers. A natural truth seeker and researcher, I knew there had to be better solutions for chronic health challenges than drugs that suppress biological function….there had to be a way to work WITH the body, naturally.
Now I know first-hand what it’s like to not feel good, and, I know that when we identify the underlying root causes of disease, the roadmap to health becomes crystal clear.
I am a huge believer in the body’s innate ability to heal. Don’t get me wrong; I am a huge nerd, who loves the biochemistry, combing the latest research, and and understanding the minute details of the mechanisms. But good medicine is more than the right pills (prescription or natural), or even the right diet plan. It takes rest, stress management, healthy communication skills for better relationships, movement, and being in connection with the earth and nature. It takes community.
It takes support.
Many of my clients have hormone imbalances, digestive problems, or both. Along with these issues, many people also deal with chronic fatigue, autoimmune diseases, skin issues, weight problems, headaches, and other symptoms that simply get in the way of us being fully present in life and empowered daily.
The one thing they all have in common is that these issues all get worse during times of crazy stress. We can’t control what cards life deals us. But getting your body back on board, and in balance, can help you surf the waves as they come, better prepared to weather the storms with little wear and tear. Through all the stages of your life!
My primary care medical license is in Chinese Medicine—which is the original Functional Medicine! My studies in both of these fields allowed me to satisfy my systems and research focused mind while honoring the philosophy of the body’s innate capacity to heal.
I am the medical director of Brie Wieselman Integrative Health, our clinic of integrative practitioners in Santa Cruz, CA.
Prior to founding the clinic, I spent several years specializing in the integrative treatment of infertility and subfertility at IVF centers and fertility practices in the San Francisco Bay Area (Nurture Acupuncture, Reproductive Science Center of the Bay area, Thrive Acupuncture), and also in a local clinic specializing in the Integrative treatment of Hepatitis C.
My post-degree education in Functional Medicine has been through The Kalish Institute and The Institute for Functional Medicine. I keep up to date with the latest discoveries and innovations by attending various continuing education seminars with some of the brightest minds in Functional Medicine, such as Datis Kharrazian, Ben Lynch, and Dr Dale Bredesen, as well as many others. I am also a certified Pilates and Barre instructor, as well as a certified Life Coach.
Here are some of the areas that I can support you in:
- Repairing Adrenal Fatigue (HPA Axis Dysfunction)
- Chronic Digestive Problems
- Female Hormone Balance (including menopause, reproductive years, preconception and fertility support)
- Thyroid Disorders
- Heavy Metal Toxicity and Detoxification
- Functional Lab Testing for Optimal Life-long Wellness