Tamu oil is a proprietary blend of three healing oils, which have soothing effects on the skin as well as pain relieving properties.
Tamu oil contains Tamanu oil, a rare ingredient from the south Pacific used to promote new skin
tissue, and accelerate wound healing. It is traditionally used topically in the treatment of wounds,
insect bites, burns, (sunburn, chemical, radiation), acne, psoriasis, diabetic sores, anal fissures,
herpes, dry skin, diaper rash. It is also traditionally used to treat nerve, joint, and muscle pain,
for example it has been used to treat sciatica, shingles, rheumatism and neuritis associated with
leprosy. Tamanu oil must be specially processed to insure its therapeutic effect.
Tamanu oil contains lipids, calophyllic acid and a natural anti-inflammatory chemical called calophylloide. Individual constituents have anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and antibacterial properties. Tamanu oil absorbs easily onto the skin and many users report that their skin feels smooth and plump without residual oiliness. Tamanu nuts are air dried for two months and then cold pressed to extract the oil, it is then purified.
Avocado oil is traditionally used to treat dry skin, eczema, and psoriasis. Peppermint oil is used topically for joint pain, urticaria, and headache.
1. Typical response time for skin conditions as well as pain would be 2-6 weeks at the recommended dosage
2. For best results, combine with internal formulas
3. See Health Concerns Newsletters: Vol. 8 No. 3 Herbal Treatment of Fungal Infections (Gaeddert);
Vol. 8 No. 4 Herbal Treatment of Fungal Infections, Part 2 (Gaeddert); Vol. 8 No. 5 Herbal Treatment
of Fungal Infections, Part 3 (Gaeddert); Vol. 13 No. 1 Healing Skin Disorders (Part 1):
• For eczema and psoriasis of the hot type, use Skin Balance internally
• For eczema and psoriasis of the dry type, consider Skin Balance plus either Marrow Plus or Nine Flavor Tea
• For cases that do not respond to Tamu, use Resinall K topically, especially for blood stagnation
• For fungal-related conditions, use Phellostatin internally
• For allergic reaction, consider Xanthium Relieve Surface
• For nerve pain, consider Channel Flow
• For anti-inflammatory effects, consider Mobility 2 or EPAQ
Th is is an empirical formula based on Dr. Fung’s 60 years experience.
Skin Balance can be used for minor cases like pimples and localized itching to serious cases such as eczema or psoriasis. According to TCM these conditions are caused by heat, dampness, and toxins.
Skin Balance is designed to treat skin infl ammation. It is able to do four things: eliminate toxins,
evaluating, reduce heat and dampness, and to nourish the skin through nourishing the blood.
Th e following herbs are used to reduce the toxins: oldenlandia (bai hua she she cao), viola (zi hua
di ding), and barbat skullcap (ban zhi lian).
The following herbs are used to reduce the factors of heat and dampness: rehmannia root (sheng
di huang), siler (fang feng), lonicera (jin yin hua), and coptis rhizome (huang lian). Liver heat is
also reduced by using gentiana (long dan cao) and bupleurum (chai hu).
Th e following herbs are used to smooth bowel and water movements so as to purge the toxins out of the body: Senna leaf (fan xie ye), rhubarb (da huang), carthamus (hong hua), and lysimachia (jin qian cao).
Th e following herb is used to nourish the blood, which will nourish the skin to facilitate recovery
of skin tissues: Tang kuei (dang gui).
Th e following foods are likely to worsen the skin infl ammation: shellfi sh, and spicy deep-fried
food. On the other hand, some foods can help reduce skin infl ammation. Th ey include: juicy
fruits (not sour), vegetables, pearl barley and seaweed.
• For skin characterized by intense redness, combine Skin Balance with Clear Heat
• For skin that is itchy and dry, combine Skin Balance with Marrow Plus
• For dry skin due to yin defi ciency, combine Skin Balance with Nine Flavor Tea
• For hives, take with Coptis Purge Fire
• For skin allergic conditions, poison ivy or poison oak, take Xanthium Relieve Surface 3 tablets four or more times per day. Combine with Coptis Purge Fire or Astra C
• For chronic candida infection with skin irritations, consider Phellostatin
• For bacterial skin infections, use Resinall K topically with Coptis Purge Fire internally
This formula is based on the clinical experience of Misha Cohen, OMD, L.Ac., in treating persons with AIDS and cancer and who are receiving chemotherapeutic agents that suppress bone marrow function. It was originally designed based on raw herb formulas used to support people undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment. This formula is often used in HIV-positive persons, as well as people with other immune disorders. It was researched at UCSF supported by a grant from the NIH Office of Alternative Medicine and Health Concerns.
The chief herb, spatholobus (ji xue teng), both vitalizes and tonifies blood. In China, this herb is commonly used during cancer therapy to stimulate bone marrow function when it is suppressed by radiation or chemotherapy. Ho-shou-wu nourishes the blood and replenishes liver and kidney essence. Salvia (dan shen) moves blood and eliminates blood stasis in addition to promoting the repair and regeneration of tissues. Codonopsis (dang shen) and astragalus (huang qi) replenish Qi and strengthen spleen and stomach function, which is necessary to the production of blood. Both herbs are used in China to increase white blood cell count. Codonopsis, in particular, is used in China to treat patients with low WBCs due to radiation or chemotherapy and is also administered to increase RBCs. The rehmannias (shu and sheng di huang) nourish essence and strengthen the kidney, so that blood is regenerated. Tang kuei (dang gui) is a strong blood tonic, and helps increase the body’s folic acid and vitamin B-12 levels, so that anemia is alleviated in many cases. Lycium (gou qi zi) nourishes the blood. Lotus seed (lian zi), citrus (chen pi), red date (da zao), and oryza (gu ya) strengthen the spleen and aid in the digestion of the formula’s herbs. Gelatinum (e jiao) strengthens the blood and essence and has been shown to increase RBCs and hemoglobin.
1. In order to boost bone marrow function, it is necessary to both vitalize and tonify blood, a specific action required for this type of anemia. Spleen qi and kidney yang should also be tonified. Combine with Backbone with cold signs. Use Astra Essence without cold signs. Enhance, Tremella and American Ginseng, Cordyceps PS and CordySeng may also be used in conjunction with Marrow Plus depending on the associated patterns
2. This formula may also be used for neuropathy, since salvia (dan shen) and other herbs in the formula are known to promote microcirculation
3. See Health Concerns Newsletters: Vol. 9 No. 3 Can Herbs Help Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients? (Gaeddert); Vol. 12 No. 4 Diabetes II Complications of Diabetes (Gaeddert)
• For numbness and pain and cold signs, combine Marrow Plus with Mobility 3 (3 tablets of each TID)
• Consider Marrow Plus as an adjunct to Mobility 2, Mobility 3, AC-Q Tabs and Channel Flow for chronic pain
• For symptoms associated with low platelet counts, also consider Astra 8 or Enhance